Cal Grant Deadline

How to Apply

All students start the application process by completing and submitting either the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Whether a student is completing a bachelor’s program, associate’s program, a credential program, or a career technical education program, there’s money available to help.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

If a student is a US Citizen, permanent resident, or other qualifying non-resident then they must submit a FAFSA by the March 2 Cal Grant Deadline to be eligible for the most opportunities. Students attending California Community Colleges can submit a FAFSA through September 2 of each year to be considered for a community college Cal Grant award. To start the FAFSA a student will need to create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID so they can login and sign the completed application. The FAFSA is used to apply for state financial aid, like Cal Grant and the Middle Class Scholarship, federal financial aid programs like Pell Grant, and institutional aid from colleges like the Blue and Gold Scholarship or the State University Grant (SUG).

All students should create a WebGrants 4 Students (WG4S) Account

Students should create a WG4S account to monitor and manage their state awarded financial aid. 

After a student’s FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application is processed, they will receive an email from CSAC letting them know it’s time to create their WebGrants 4 Students account.  WebGrants 4 Students (WG4S) will let students check the status of their state grants, and take necessary steps to secure their aid. It’s important to note that a student’s WG4S account does not replace their school or FAFSA accounts and they may need more than one account to successfully apply for financial aid.

Stay up-to-date on deadlines and requirements by reading all correspondence from CSAC, FAFSA and your school of attendance.


Make sure a Grade Point Average (GPA) has been submitted to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC)

All students will need to ensure their GPA has been submitted to CSAC.

The best way to do this is by creating a WebGrants 4 Students account and logging in to confirm we have a GPA on file. All students must ensure CSAC has their GPA on file by the March 2 deadline.



Cal Grant FAQ

Cal Grant B Recipients

Cal Grant B recipients may elect to receive the full disbursement of their “Access” or “Book and Supplies” awards to use towards educational expenses or have it applied to any outstanding balances on the student’s account. By choosing the first option, Cal Grant B recipients are responsible to resolve any account balances with their institution. Please see your financial aid office for more information.

1. Applying the “Access” or “Books and Supplies” portion to outstanding balances on the student’s account.

2. Request personal receipt of the funds prior to disbursement. (The recipient must understand that he or she is responsible for any remaining balance on the recipient’s account.)

3. Student has the ability to rescind option at any time.